Tuesday, December 11, 2007

G-Chat Part I: Curry don't leave me!!

[Disclaimer: This post is stupid.]

Folks,

This is the first installment of numerous more installments, reflecting the ridiculous/drama-soaked conversations that myself and others have over Gmail.

Peep the complete and utter disbelief that I express at the thought of a world without delicious curry:

me: what do you mean there is no such thing as curry?!! frankly, if that's true, i'm going to burst into tears!
Sent at 4:51 PM on Tuesday

[Unnamed]: there is no such thing as curry [Brown Guy]. its a colonialist invention that has sullied the good name of indian cooking

me: oooh
what the hell is curry, though?

[Unnamed]: there's no such thing! the nytimes wrote about how there is no such thing
its made up.. nothing in indian cooking is called curry. no indian could tell you what curry is

me: then why do i have it in my kitchen and love it so much?

[Unnamed]: hahahahaha
hahaha

me: it's like garam masala, right?

like it's a bunch of stuff that's mixed together
[Unnamed]: you have garam masala in your ktichen!

me: tumeric
thyme
all that stuff
cardamom pods

[Unnamed]: yes... i would concede that curry at best is a mixture, an english name for masala
me: wow
that's a serious elvisification of spices
curry=elvis inventing rock n' roll

[Unnamed]: i'm finding that nytimes piece and sending it to you..i think it actually came out in 2004
'zactly

Look. A world without curry is a world that I don't want to live in. And if curry is elvis, then I ain't nothin' but a hound dog.

That's real.

~Brown Guy

No comments: